Description: This article outlines the basic information you need to know as a new faculty member.
Tags: faculty, instructor, teacher, help, support, start, new, quick, technology, FAQ, guide, orientation, tech
Technology Quick-Start for New Instructors
- Each faculty member is assigned three main forms of identification used to log into sites and services supported by LCC.
- Certain logins are grouped together and use the same passwords:
- L number-based logins and G Suite share a synchronized password:
- Course sections are created and assigned to instructors by academic departments in myLane. Students register for these sections in myLane.
- Sections are imported from myLane to Moodle, along with teacher assignments and student registration.
- These sections are set up as empty shells. Each term, if you want to use Moodle, you need to import course content into your Moodle shell and make the section visible to students.
- Moodle is the learning management system (LMS) supported by Lane Community College.
- Students want Moodle! A simple, well-organized Moodle course is beneficial to your students' learning.
- Self-help articles about Moodle can be found in the knowledgebase.
- You don’t need to be a Moodle expert; the ATC is here to help.
- myLane and Moodle have current class rosters and email addresses, so it is easy to communicate with your students.
- To quickly message your entire class, use the announcement tool in Moodle or myLane.
- To email one or more students from your class, use the mail tool in Moodle or myLane.
- All LCC faculty and students have access to G Suite for education allowing for easy sharing and collaboration.
- Zoom is a video conferencing platform supported by Lane Community College.
- Your department may have one or more folders on our network that you will be asked to use.
- The Moodle Gradebook automatically allows students to view (only) their own grades at any time, as you grade their work.
- The Moodle Gradebook is preconfigured to provide a %-based course grade based on items graded to date, so you only need to add graded activities to your course to use it.
- If you want to customize your Moodle gradebook, please let the ATC help you set it up.
- Final grades are submitted in myLane.
Classrooms & A/V Equipment
Calendars & Dates
- Keeping track of dates is important for you and your students.
For further help, click on Live Help, leave a ticket, or contact:
Academic Technology Center